A simple sentence is a group of words expressing a complete thought, and it must have a subject and a verb. A predicate nominative or predicate noun completes a linking verb and renames the subject. A direct objectreceives the action performed by the subject. An appositive is a word or group of words that identifies or renames the noun or pronoun that it follows. Nounsor nominatives of address are the persons or things to which you are speaking.
Transitive active verbs are the verbs in sentences with a direct object. Transitive passive verbs have the subject receiving the action with the doer in a prepositional phrase or omitted in the sentence. Intransitive linking are sentences with a predicate nominative or predicate adjective. Intransitive complete are all the verbs that don’t fit one of the other kinds of transitive or intransitive verbs.
Instructions: Find the verbs, subjects, predicate nominatives, direct objects, appositives, and nouns of address in these sentences and tell whether the verb is transitive active (ta), transitive passive (tp), intransitive linking (il), or intransitive complete (ic).
1. Neither the electrician nor his assistant had the right parts.
2. On the golf course Jim hit two trees and a sand trap.
3. For most people, life is a struggle.
4. The bus driver could hardly see the edge of the road.
5. Barbara, two groups, they and we, stayed to the end.
–For answers scroll down.
1. had = verb (ta), electrician/assistant = subject, parts = direct object
2. hit = verb (ta), Jim = subject, trees/sand trap = direct objects
3. is = verb (il), life = subject, struggle = predicate nominative
4. could see = verb (ta), driver = subject, edge = direct object
5. stayed = verb (ic), groups = subject, they/we = appositives, Barbara = noun of address
For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive at http://ift.tt/1BHeG8C. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook, a FlipBook, and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog http://ift.tt/1DlGv8p