A simple sentence is a group of words expressing a complete thought, and it must have a subject and a verb. A predicate nominative or predicate noun completes a linking verb and renames the subject. A direct objectreceives the action performed by the subject. An appositive is a word or group of words that identifies or renames the noun or pronoun that it follows. Nounsor nominatives of address are the persons or things to which you are speaking.
Transitive active verbs are the verbs in sentences with a direct object. Transitive passive verbs have the subject receiving the action with the doer in a prepositional phrase or omitted in the sentence. Intransitive linking are sentences with a predicate nominative or predicate adjective. Intransitive complete are all the verbs that don’t fit one of the other kinds of transitive or intransitive verbs.
Instruction: Find the verbs, subjects, predicate nominatives, direct objects, appositives, and nouns of address in these sentences and tell whether the verb is transitive active (ta), transitive passive (tp), intransitive linking (il), or intransitive complete (ic).
1. Eric and I were expecting someone, you.
2. She found them in New York, Colette.
3. Do you like her best, Justin?
4. The author might have been anyone.
5. Two people, you and he, must assist us in this effort.
–For answers scroll down.
1. were expecting = verb (ta), Eric/I = subject, someone = direct object, you = appositive
2. found = verb (ta), she = subject, them = direct object, Colette = noun of address
3. do like = verb (ta), you = subject, her = direct object, Justin = noun of address
4. might have been = verb (il), author = subject, anyone = predicate nominative
5. must assist = verb (ta), people = subject, us = direct object, you/he = appositives
For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive at http://ift.tt/1BHeG8C. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook, a FlipBook, and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog http://ift.tt/1znxYxZ