Adverbs are words that modify (1) verbs, (2) adjectives, and (3) other adverbs. They tell how (manner), when (time), where(place), how much (degree), and why (cause). Why is a common one-word adverb that tells why. Adverbs that tell us how, when, where, and why always modify the verb. These adverbs can shift location in the sentence without changing meaning or what they modify. Adverbs that tell us how much modify adjectives or other adverbs. Adverbs that tell how muchwill come just before the adjectives or adverbs that they modify. These adverbs are also called qualifiers because they strengthen or weaken the words they modify. Examples: He kicked the ball solidly (how). He kicked the ball immediately (when). He kicked the ball forward (where). He kicked the ball toohard (how much).
Not and its contraction n’t are adverbs. They really modify the entire sentence, but we will have them modify the verb as it is the most important word in the sentence. This is a common practice in grammar books.
Instructions: Find the adverbs in the following sentences and tell what word they modify.
1. I am too tired to play.
2. I am very sorry about your extremely sore leg.
3. The storm was almost completely over at noon.
4. You look so much better.
5. Your father looks rather feeble.
–For answers scroll down.
1. too modifies the predicate adjective tired telling how much
2. very modifies the predicate adjective sorry telling how much, extremely modifies the adjective sore telling how much
3. almost modifies the adverb completely telling how much, completelymodifies the predicate adjective over telling how much
4. so modifies the adverb much telling how much, muchmodifies the predicate adjective better telling how much
5. rather modifies the predicate adjective feebletelling how much
For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive at http://ift.tt/1BHeG8C. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook, a FlipBook, and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog http://ift.tt/1HeWDKC