Instructions: Using all the knowledge learned in the previous lessons, find the verb (v), subjects (subj), predicate nominatives (pn), direct objects (do), appositives (app), nouns of address (na), adjectives (adj), predicate adjectives (pa), adverbs (adv), prepositions (prep), objects of the preposition (op), and prepositional phrases (p ph) in the following sentences.
1. We are proud of our family and of their effort.
2. The dark colors from the accident stained everything by the road.
3. The teacher grabbed from her desk a new test for one of the students.
4. Into the police station staggered the wounded man.
5. The president of the company, Mr. Wright, is never wrong.
–For answers scroll down.
1. are = verb; we = subject; proud = predicate adjective; of our family/of their effort = prep phrases modifying proud; of/of = prepositions; family/effort = object of the preposition; our = adj. modifying family; their = adj. modifying effort
2. stained = verb; colors = subject; everything = direct object; the/dark = adj. modifying colors; from the accident modifying colors/by the road modifying everything = prep phrases; from/ by = prepositions; accident/road = objects of preposition; the = adj. modifying accident; the = adj. modifying road
3. grabbed = verb; teacher = subject; test = direct object; the = adj. modifying teacher; a/new = adj. modifying test; from her desk modifying grabbed/for one modifying grabbed/of the students modifying one = prep phrases; from/for/of = prepositions; desk/one/students = object of preposition; her = adj. modifying desk; the = adj. modifying students
4. staggered = verb; man = subject; the/wounded = adj. modifying man; into the police station = prep phrase modifying staggered; into = preposition; station = object of preposition; the/police = adj. modifying station
5. is = verb; president = subject; Mr. Wright = appositive; wrong = predicate adjective; the = adj. modifying president; never = adv. modifying is; of the company = prep phrase modifying president; of = preposition; company = object of preposition; the = adj. modifying company
For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive at http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog http://dailygrammarlessons.blogspot.com/2017/05/lesson-186-parts-of-sentence-review.html